Thursday, January 7, 2010

Gosh I'm tired today. Mind you that's not surprising as I didn't get home from work until 11pm last night! Having said that, although I was feeling a bit ick by the time I got home, I still had some colour in my face and that was after a great work out on the bike this morning, so I'm well chuffed and am starting to hesitantly believe that I may be starting to glow!

Work outs this weeks so far have been:

Monday: 3 mile walk/hike in the snow.

Tuesday: 30 minutes Pilates workout.
- I bought a fantastic pregnancy Pilates DVD which has lots of 10 minute work outs and you can simply put them together to make out your desired workout. I'm hoping as I gain strength and confidence that I can gradually add on more 10 minute workouts to make a total of 1 hour workout, but I will play it by ear. I really like doing my Pilates as I feel so stretched and toned after it and I reckon if I didn't have it I would be as stiff as a board by the time I came to delivery. I love how it helps your posture and keeps you tummy strong, safely. The woman on the DVD is dead 'preggers' herself so it gives you confidence. It probably helps that I've been to taught classes before, however so I know how the basic postures should feel.

Wednesday: 30 minutes bike session
- 5 min warm up RPE 3-5
- 20 min work out - 3 mins RPE 4-6 with fast legs
- 1 min RPE 4-6 more resistance so slow legs (Repeated)
(2 x 1 min standing, 3 x 1 min seated)
- 5 min cool down gradually down to RPE 2

My friend Claire got me a really good book that has an excellent section on regaining your fitness after an awful first trimester and this is the workout recommended. Dead useful as it can be transferred to any equipment or running, and extra time can be added on easily enough. It takes a bit of time to get used to the RPE (rate of perceived exertion) but after a short while I'm sure it can be a really useful tool. Apparently its better than HR as that can be so variable during pregnancy.


I had hoped to do my Pilates DVD again today, but I think it might be prudent to rest up before work today. I can always do it tomorrow as I'm working from home, or at the weekend. Speaking of the weekend, we pick up our new car on Saturday and I can't wait as I've had no heating in my old car for the past 3 weeks - what a time for that to pack in. I have to drive while scraping the ice off the inside of the windscreen - not recommended!

Over the next few days I hope to do my Pilates workout and get out for at least 1 walk. I guess I better save some energy to the housework too - boo!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kaz,

    Congratulations on your Pregnancy. And well done for continuing to exercise. I think it helped keep me sane (ish) and I really helped during labour and beyond.

    Ref you comment on my blog: I bought the Baby Jogger Performance Series. I only use it for running. It's not the kind of buggy you would use for general day-to-day stuff, but it glides quite easily for running. The first couple of attempts were a nightmare, but it seems a lots easier now. Not that I've used it in this weather.

    Keep well and take care.

    Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are staying very active - that's great! Hope work isn't keeping you there for too long often!

    ReplyDelete