Monday, June 4, 2012

19 weeks, almost 20; Badaguish and 20 miler week!

I am 19 weeks, although I'll be 20 on Wednesday - scary - half way through! We have our 20 week scan on Friday, nervous and excited as always.

20 miles for 18 weeks

Last week I had a really good exercise week, aided by being away at The Strathearn Harriers' weekend at Badaguish, Aviemore.

Tues: 110 lengths (5.5miles)

Wed: 110 lengths (5.5miles)
                                        A really good session with my mate Kerry who is also a really good swimmer and makes me look like a floundering beginner in her wake! It was nice getting some technique tips and having a session made up for me as it can get dull doing your own session every week.

Sat: 6 mile hike (2h 20 mins) over 3 lovely lower peaks above Badaguish.
                                        It was v hot, but there was a cool breeze on the tops so babba didn't over heat. Worst bit was the forest trail back as the trees were too far apart to provide shade but blocked any breeze! Phew - glad it was only 20 mins.

Sun: 3 mile hike around Loch Morlich which was beautiful.

Total: 20 miles shame, I didn't manage my pilates.

Although last week started off well with a 3 mile hike around Loch an Eileen, the rest of the week was a right off due to a hideous cough and cold. Gradually feeling better so got out for a 3 mile walk today. Felt quite hard going up hill so that cough has taken its toll.

Badaguish 2012

The Harriers had our weekend away at Badaguish again this year (such a great location). Al took Fri and Mon off so we packed up the car and headed up the road after lunch on the Fri which was great timing as Murray slept the whole way up and meant we could do the journey in 2 hours rather than having to break it up.
After a wee shop in Tesco we arrived at Badaguish about 4pm. The weather was stunning and Murray played outside in his swimsuit jumping in and out of the water in his wee bathtub while Al (and Tony who was already there) unpacked the car.

Murray ready for a weekend of adventures!

Come on mummy, hurry up and fill the tub and get my swimmers, I'm roasting!

We were really lucky this year as someone had pulled out of the lodge so there was a spare room and we were able to use it for Murray - yeah, no hyper child in our room at night.
Just as I was contemplating keeping Murray up for a bit longer he started looking v tired so bath and stories it was and he was out like a light until 7 the next morning - fab! He was so deeply asleep we were able to socialise with everyone outside, just popping back to quickly check he was still out for the count. The place is great because the lodges look out on a big grassy area where those who are camping are and surrounded by the 'wigwam' huts. Ideal for a group trip as everyone is close by. The kids can run around in the grassy area and have a taste of 'freedom'.

Looking out from the lodge to the wigwam huts and the grassy area where folk camp. The ridge is the ridge I hiked along on the Sat.

On the Sat there were various runs organised. Al headed out on the 10 miler trail run (there were also 5 mile trail and 12 mile hill runs organised) despite not running much recently on account of his asthma, but as that is now under control again, he figured sod it. He found it really tough, but was glad he went for it.
When he got back I was then able to head out for my hike. I was getting a bit concerned as it was really hot and I was heading out during the hottest part of the day and I didn't want me or babba to cook. I was desperate to get a good walk though, so figured I'd head up onto the tops I had planned and if it was stifling, I'd come back down. As I had hoped though, there was a gorgeous breeze and the hike along the ridge was absolutely gorgeous. The hike back along the path was a bit too hot though.

When I got back everyone had already headed down to the beach, so we quickly piled everything into the car a joined everyone. The water was pretty nippy, but it was fun to have a splash in especially as Cathy loaned me a shot of her wet suit. Murray was a bit unsure at first but soon got the hang of it. My best bit of the day was taking him in Doug's kayak for a wee paddle. By about 5pm, Murray was freezing in the water, but didn't want to leave so we had to carry him out to get changed and head back to the lodge.
There was Karaoke that night, but both Al and I were pretty shattered, so we didn't last long. Good job as Murray was awake at 5. Thankfully we were able to ignore until just before 7!

On Sunday am there was the Hare, Tortoise and junior race. The hares run 3.5miles, the tortoises 3 and the juniors 1. The aim is to get the teams as similar to each other to get a good race and it really was. The juniors were amazing and put in so much effort  - amazing to see! After  wee prize giving everyone started either heading home or back to the beach. As neither Al or me had run in the am, we headed out for a walk around Loch Morlich with Murray in the backpack. We had a lovely 3 mile hike and then went straight to beach to join some others. We went to a quieter beach this time which was great for the wee ones as there was a wee area blocked off by stones. Doug took Murray out in the Kayak again to go and see the ducks. He was quite far out which was v exciting for him.

The quieter beach and paddling area outlined by boulders.

Looking over to the ski slopes with rapidly melting snow.

 Doug and Murray in the kayak heading back in after chasing the ducks!

Murray 'helping' Doug paddle!

Mummy and Murray paddling - my god, I'm astounded at the cleavage!

To book the lodge we need to have it for 3 nights, so just like last year we got our moneys worth and stayed Sunday night. We had a lovely calm night with Tony and Fi who also stayed.

On Monday, after we had packed up, we headed to Loch an Eileen for a lovely 3 mile hike with Murray in the backpack. When we got back to the beginning we had a lovely picnic lunch on the shores of the loch and then Murray had a great wee play in the water while Al and I chilled out with an ice lolly.

Picnic on the shores of Loch An Eileen

After that it was time to reluctantly head down the rd. Murray was asleep about 100metres of driving and stayed that way until Perth where we stopped at Tiso for a colld drink to round off our wee hol. The weather was amazing and I only wish we got more of it (back to chilly again). It felt like a proper summer hol.

No comments:

Post a Comment