Friday, August 3, 2012

Holiday; Amaemia; Pain + Anti D

We were due to go on holiday last Wednesday, but on Tuesday morning I got a call from nursery to say Murray was pretty upset and could they try and put him down for a sleep? Murray is never upset for long at nursery - he loves it and wanders in quite the thing, so I was a bit concerned. They did put him down for a nap and he clonked out immediately but for only 20 mins, so when I went to pick him up he was whimpering and upset. Too heartbreaking. Murray also never falls asleep again after he has had a nap, but on the way home he was out like a light and slept for 2 hours thanks to calpol given to him when we got home. The wee soul was still not himself that afternoon, and when I was changing his nappy I spotted gunky stuff coming out of his ear. Ah ha! Ear infection - sore! I decided to see how Tuesday night went, but was pretty sure we'd be visiting the doc instead of driving up North to stay with friends. Sure enough Tuesday night was a bit rough with high temps and tears. Wee soul. He did seem a bit happier the next day, but the doc confirmed an ear infection and gave us some antibiotics. I figured as we were all knackered, we'd just chill out and get things packed up and head up on Thursday once we'd all had a decent night's sleep.

Despite having an extra day to get organised, it seemed to take me FOREVER! Between Murray wanting cuddles and the breathlessness from my anaemia, it was SOOO HARD! Anyway, eventually we headed off and just before Perth, Murray fell asleep so we were able to press on to Aviemore in one swoop where we stopped for lunch at my favourite place to eat: The Mountain Cafe - a gluten and dairy free haven of yummy food and cakes! The next part of the journey was HARD going. Murray HATES to sit for any length of time so it was 1hour 15 mins of 'OUT, OUT, OUT' despite my best efforts of providing toys, books and then ALOT of nursery rhymes! Phew! When we arrived I think poor wee Hamish (17 months) was totally taken aback by the whirling dirvish that flew out of the car and ran round the garden trying out every single one of Hamish's toys! LOL!

We had a lovely afternoon at Claire's house and as it was actually really nice weather, we were able to go for a gentle walk down to the burn nearby and sit outside while the boys had tea in the garden.

The next day was lovely too and as we couldn't check into our caravan or 'caraban' as Murray called it until 4pm we decided to head out to the beach near her house. Unfortunately the wind was pretty ferocious on the beach and the kids got really cold, so we had to make a hasty retreat back to Claire's house where between rain showers it was lovely.

After the boys had napped  (v jealous of Murray, as he had been awake in our bed between 3am and 5am so I was knackered) we headed about 30 mins further North to 'Grannie's Heilin' Hame Caravan Park' at Embo beach. We were really lucky as our caravan, although one row back, had a view over to the sea as there was no caravan in front of us to the left.

Murray LOVED  the 'caraban' soooo much and loved the beach even more as we went to play on it while Al unpacked the car. He particularly loved jumping over the waves as they rolled in. Fortunately this beach was far more sheltered and it was really a nice temperature.

On Saturday we woke up to sunshine, so Murray could have great play at the park and especially on the 'curly wurly' slide while I got everything organised.

 'Open le door; shut; open;shut!'

We then headed off to go to a gala day in a fishing village a wee drive away, as it was meant to be a really pretty wee spot. Murrray fell asleep en route and while we were driving the heavens opened, so as lovely as the village did look, we decided to keep driving around while Murray slept on and explore the countryside a bit more. When he woke up we all went for a lovely lunch in Dornoch which was a really lovely wee town 3 miles away from the caravan site.

After lunch we headed back to the site and 'released' Murray onto the beach as it had dried up. The tide was out and there were loads of rock pools for him to 'go ploring' in. He played and played and played and it was just so lovely to watch / play with him and show him things.

Rock pool fun.

Looking for and finding, 'teeny tiny crabs'

This way Daddy!

My gorgeous boy and me. A cracking Scottish Beach day - shorts and fleece jumpers/down jackets for mummy sitting and watching/taking videos!

On Sunday after another play in the park (this time in waterproof suit) we headed to Church. Once again Murray fell asleep in the car after Mass (it had been a pretty rough night as poor wee thing kept getting old so ended up in our bed to warm up), so we had another drive and explore of the area and then went for lunch in Tain this time.

The caravan site had a pool and we had booked to use it (v small pool, so numbers kept to 30) at 4pm, so after lunch we headed for our swim (by this time Murray's ear was all healed up so we felt it ok to take him for a swim). He really enjoyed it and as Al was there it was fun to show him proper swimming and kicking and his 'kicky legs' really improved after him watching me!

Monday saw another waterproof suit play (it was sunny, but everything was soaking) while I packed up the caravan and then we headed down the road. Murray fell asleep 5 mins out of the park due to waking at 4.45am, and stayed asleep for the next 1.5 hours until we reached Aviemore.

Sleepy mummy and Murray after a few rough nights!

Another lunch stop at my favourite cafe and then we took Murray to a soft play area to burn off some energy in an attempt to make the next 2 hours in the car bearable. Despite having a great hour or so of running around he was still hard work in the car. At least a hearty snack helped pass some time!

We had such a great time. I just wish Murray could last longer in the car!!!!

Here's some lovely videos of the boys on the beach!

Anaemia Update.

I think the Iron is starting to kick in as I feel so much more myself and can actually go up the stairs without feeling like I'm about to pass out at the top! I barely did any exercise last week and I really didn't care as just catching my breath standing was hard enough! I did go for a swim on Thurs am before we headed up the road as I was so sore in my back and just needed to take the weight of this stomach off my body! I pootled up an down and after 80 lengths I was really, really rather tired! After that I really couldn't care if I did any exercise while we were on holiday. Anyway, as I was saying, suddenly in the past couple of days I feel like I have a better colour to my skin and just feel more normal. I got up and went for a swim this am, but still took it fairly steady and 100 lengths was plenty and I REALLY needed a nap at lunch time. Ordinarily I'd get up tomorrow am too, but I think the most I'll do is 30 mins pilates. I really need to ease back in slowly as the doc did say it would take a few weeks for the iron to fully kick in. The holiday really came at the right time to force me to relax and as Al was off to help, relaxing was possible.

Back Brace

In addition to being anaemic, I have been so uncomfortable physically. This was not unexpected. The doctors did say that I'd probably get v uncomfortable in 3rd trimester. I had hoped to get into 3rd T before the pain kicked in, but 2 - 3 weeks before the final countdown I was already struggling with serious pelvis and back pain, so I got the midwife to refer me to physio and today my new brace arrived to help lift the pressure off my pelvis and back and it really does help. I was also under strict instructions to get Murray climbing up into his own car seat. I had previously tried, but he kept running through the middle of the seats and clambering into the front seats which was not helpful at all! Anyway I've worked out over the past couple of days that, if I hold onto his hands and get him to do it in 2 stages he goes into the seat and turns round (well on a good day) which saves me quite a bit of pain. As a result of this discomfort I've come to the conclusion (not much option really) that exercise is going to be mainly in the pool. Once I feel less anaemic I may re try the bike, but nothing weight bearing at all any more. Bye bye hikes and gym :-( Amazing to think I went for a 5 mile hike the night before I went into labour last time! I'll see how I go with Pilates too and at least I've been able to enjoy it until now.

Here's some glamorous shots of me sporting the 'jellyfish'! It really helps!

I always knew this pregnancy was going to be tough, but it is quite hard to feel like I do with 11 or so weeks to go. I don't want to wish away the time, but it is hard to be in pain everyday. Ah well, once the babba arrives into the world, it will all be worth it. I do feel really blessed to even have this little babba in my tummy despite the discomfort, so I just need to keep focusing on that.

Bits and Bobs

1) I don't have a linea nigra this time. I'm pretty sure I had one by now last time round - oooh - what does that mean?????

2) Had my Anti D today - OUCH!

3) I'm officially in T3 - feels weird - feel like I've been in T3 for ages and yet now that I actually am I find it hard to believe I'm 2/3rds way through my pregnancy!


  1. Great bump. Very comical though, as it looks like you've put Murray's football up your top. No wonder you're so uncomfortable with that tiny little frame. Pregnant women everywhere must be so jealous.

    Loving all the pictures - as usual.

    Hope Murray's feeling better.

  2. Already in T3, wow. Glad the irn levels are sorting out and you are feeling slightly better. remember so clerly the discomfort of T3. It will all be worth it. You look amazing though :)

    Love the photos and beach videos. I stayed at Grannie's Heilin' Hame for a family holiday when I was wee. Loved it.

    Hope Murray is better soon x