Sunday, September 19, 2010

Murray's First Adventure and General Roundup

We had our first family holiday last week and it was great fun. We stayed at the Pine Bank Chalets in Aviemore http://www.pinebankchalets.co.uk/ and I can whole heartedly recommend them.


They might be a bit chillier in winter but ours had spare heaters so I'm sure they'd be fine - just pack some cosy jammies!



We drove up on the Monday once we had finally finished packing. My God; Murray was up as usual about 6am so he was fed and thankfully then had another good sleep after his feed so we were able to pack our own things. Despite that however we still didn't manage to get away until about noon! We had hoped to make it to the House of Bruar for lunch and to break up the journey but as Murray was due to feed about 12.30pm we only made to Bankfoot about 40 mins up the road!!!! Hee Hee! We actually had a really nice lunch there and it worked out perfectly as Murray fed while we ordered and then our food arrived just after he had been fed and burped so was happy to sit in his car seat while we ate. This also meant that at least half an hour had passed since he had fed before he had to go back in the car (we can't drive before half an hour or he'll throw up big style!!!!). Murray seems to have developed an aversion to the car - I think he gets travel sick as he will get quite upset at some point on most journeys now but thankfully he had a good sleep and woke with only 15 minutes or so to go. We arrived in perfect time to check in, unpack and feed Murray. We were a bit worried Murray might not settle as well as he does at home, but bath and feed at bed time and off he dropped to sleep letting mum and dad have a couple of glasses of wine.




Tuesday

We weren't sure where would be best for walks with the buggy and as the weather wasn't great in the morning we decided to head in to town and gets some info from the tourist office and potter around the shops. I found a brilliant pair of waterproof trousers in my favourite outdoor shop that has the BEST cafe upstairs. The trousers are Montane and velcro tight at the bottoms so you don't trip when running and are super light weight too. We had lunch in the Mountain Cafe upstairs and Yummy cake as they always have at least 1, often 2 wheat and dairy free cakes. Such good food. While we were having lunch it belted down with rain, but by the time we left it was dry. We decided to drive to the car park at Loch an Eileen and walk around it (3 miles) and it was sooo pretty. It was a bit chilly but it stayed dry so we were really lucky.



Wednesday

Thanks to the wee trail map we were given at the car park yesterday we were able to see all the different trails in the Rothiemurcus estate and so decided to do a 5 mile loop that we could do from the chalet. It was absolutely lovely lots of caledonian pine interspersed with views across to the mountains and strathspey.


We found a lovely restuarant in the Rothiemurcus visitor centre for lunch and as we could walk home had a cheeky wee lunch time tipple - it's official, I am a lightweight - I felt decidely tipsy tootleing home.



Thursday

The weather was foul on Thursday so we took Murray swimming. He was soooo cute in his wetuit ( http://www.twobarefeet.co.uk/ ) and it helped him to last 15 mins.



He could have gone longer I think but I didn't want to over do it, plus WE were freezing!!!! Another lunch in the mountain cafe and then I got to the gym while Al looked after Murray.

My 2 men chilling out in the afternoon.




Excitement upon excitement I tried my first wee run. I managed 7 mins on the treadmill. It was longer than I expected but I didn't want to do more as I wanted to get a workout on the x-trainer.

Friday

We managed to get out for check out at 11am and drove leisurely down the road to The House of Bruar so we got a lunch there after all. A lazy lunch and wander around the deli and stores and we were happy to head home. We got back in time for Murray's mid pm feed and then I showered, expressed and had an early tea before heading out to my friend's house (an hour away) for my first girls' night post Murray. It was great and Al was happy for me to stay overnight so I could have a few drinks. It felt very weird not to be with Murray in the morning but it did feel great to have had a night out! The night came at a great time because Al was at home so I could get ready and get out at a reasonable time and he knew the routine as he had been helping / doing it all week so was confident he knew what to do. He was feeling right pleased with himself when I got home the next day and so he should too!

Playing with Murray before I headed out for my night out.


So cute he was totally stroking it.


My Second Run

I got out for another run on Sunday. I headed out from the house and walked for 5 mins before breaking into a jog for 5 mins. I then walked for 3 mins and did another run block of 5 mins. I turned around and headed home at that point and after 6 mins of walking ran for a final 4 mins. I had planned to run for 5 but 4 was enough and so just walked home. I had definitely reached my limit as I did try another try a wee bit later but it just wasn't comfortable at all so I was pleased to have stopped especially as I wasn't sore the next day. It's a far cry from what I was able to do even at 34 weeks pregnant but it is a start and hopefully I will be able to keep building on that.

12 Weeks Today

Murray is 12 weeks today - how on earth did that happen? I am a mum of a 3 month old! As such I am going to start winding down the expressing. It takes me an hour each time I pump now and it is pretty exhausting as I'm pumping when I could be resting or exercising or housework or anything. Plus it is starting to hurt a little as I'm on for so flipping long while getting less. He's had 3 months of breast milk and while I would have loved for him to have more I'm pleased under the circumstances that he had this long. Swapping to expressing and bottles was sooo the right decision and allowed him to get another 3 - 4 weeks of breast milk. I didn't realise how much the breastfeeding was getting me down until I swapped and realised I wasn't dreading feeds any more.

Exercise

Sun: 3 mile walk with 14 mins running
Mon: 2.2km swim(equiv to 5.5 mile run) + 2.5 mile walk
Wed: 50 min Pilates
Thurs: 4 mile walk pushing buggy.

Aim to get to gym tomorrow for gym or swim and doing equiv of miles to make a 20 mile week - my best yet. Hopefully on Sat I can Pilates again. I'm also looking forard to my next attempt at a run. 14 mins or anything above that will be great.

I know this was a long blog post but as the expressing takes an hour by the time I've put Murray to bed, made and ate dinner, expressed, sterilised bottles for the morning etc etc I just haven't had time to blog. Maybe now I'll have more time.

3 comments:

  1. How did Murray get that big? He's so cute.
    Fabulous pictures.
    Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baby wet-suit?? Love it! You have the cutest things for him. That's great news about the run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaz.

    Great to actually see one of our two bare feet baby wetsuits in action! Your little one does indeed look very cute in it.

    Keep up the adventures.

    Jason. www.twobarefeet.co.uk

    ReplyDelete